Wednesday, May 2, 2012

New Melodies for the Border Pipes

I am beginning to learn new melodies on the Border Pipes for the concert in Catalonia in July. I normally play a mixed bag of melodies from Peacock and Bewick with a few Highland tunes as well as the occasional European melody, but now I am concentrating on music from the Scottish and English Borders from the "O'er the Hills and Far Away" (ohfa) and the "Dixon Manuscript" tune books, these tunes have a very different feel to the Northumbrian as they have the flattened 7th note (a G natural, with my A pipes), and the use of notes fall easier to the fingers.
The melodies I am working upon now are:
"An thou were my ain thing" (Dixon)
"Green Bracken" (ohfa)
"The Lad that Keeps the Cattle" (ohfa)
"Gallowa Hills" (ohfa)
"Now Westlin Winds" (ohfa)
"Kelso Lasses" (ohfa)
"The Wedding O'Blyth" (ohfa)
"All Night I lay with Jockey in my Arms" (ohfa)
"Stool of Repentance" (Dixon)
"Dorrington Lads" (Dixon)
"Gingling Geordie" (Dixon)

No comments:

Post a Comment